[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] Upstream LTS Releases

Jonathan Proulx jon at csail.mit.edu
Thu Nov 9 18:46:36 UTC 2017

On Thu, Nov 09, 2017 at 04:34:24PM +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
:On 2017-11-08 23:15:15 -0800 (-0800), Clint Byrum wrote:
:[...]
:> The biggest challenge will be ensuring that the skip-level upgrades
:> work. The current grenade based upgrade jobs are already quite a bear to
:> keep working IIRC. I've not seen if chef or any of the deployment projects
:> test upgrades like that.
:[...]
:
:Another challenge which has been mostly hand-waved away at this
:stage is the distro support piece. Queens is being tested on Ubuntu
:16.04 but our "S" release will likely be tested on Ubuntu 18.04
:instead... so effective testing for a skip-level upgrade between
:those two LTS releases will _also_ involve in-place upgrading of
:Ubuntu.

Having done inplace Ubuntu upgrades from 12.04->14.04->16.04
underneath "production"* openstack I'm not too worried about the
mechanics of that.

Currently for Ubuntu case when you get to a release boundary you need
to bring old Distro Release upto Newest OpenStack then move to new
Distro Release.

You can push production load to another node, reinstall new version of
Ubuntu with current configs then move load back. This does make some
assumptions about the deployed architecture but hopefully if nonstop
cloud is what you're after you've deployed something that's resilient
to single node faults which is basically what a Distro upgrade takes.

-Jon

:--
:Jeremy Stanley
: