[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] Upstream LTS Releases

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Nov 8 00:16:23 UTC 2017

Erik McCormick wrote:
> This morning at the Sydney Summit we had a very well attended and very
> productive session about how to go about keeping a selection of past
> releases available and maintained for a longer period of time (LTS).
>
> There was agreement in the room that this could be accomplished by
> moving the responsibility for those releases from the Stable Branch
> team down to those who are already creating and testing patches for
> old releases: The distros, deployers, and operators.
>
> The concept, in general, is to create a new set of cores from these
> groups, and use 3rd party CI to validate patches. There are lots of
> details to be worked out yet, but our amazing UC (User Committee) will
> be begin working out the details.

I took the action of summarizing the discussion in more detail, will do
as soon as my brain is not as mushy, which might take a couple of weeks :)

Note that it's not really about devs vs. ops, with devs abdicating all
responsibility on stable branches : it's about allowing collaboration on
patches beyond EOL (which is what we are able to support with "live"
stable branches on evolving OS/PyPI substrate) and enable whoever steps
up to maintain longer-lived branches to come up with a set of tests that
actually match their needs (tests that would be less likely to bitrot
due to changing OS/PyPI substrate).

A number of people from all backgrounds volunteered to flesh out a more
detailed proposal. Watch that space!

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)