[Openstack-operators] Openstack release compatibility

haad haaaad at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 13:19:56 UTC 2017

Hi,

I have one additional question. What is your experience with updating
OpenStack in place on compute nodes with out rebooting them. Can we update
e.g. mitaka to newton and leave machines running on compute node running ?
(if libvirt/kvm/os update is necessary we can do it after.)

On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 8:22 AM, Jean-Philippe Evrard <
jean-philippe at evrard.me> wrote:

> On 2 November 2017 at 18:17, Chris Friesen <chris.friesen at windriver.com>
> wrote:
> > On 10/31/2017 01:13 AM, haad wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> We have an OSA installation with 10-12 compute nodes running Mitaka on
> >> Ubuntu
> >> 16.04. As initially we have not prepared any long term update strategy
> we
> >> would
> >> like to create one now. Plan would be to upgrade it to new OSA
> >> release(Ocata/Pike/Queens) in near future.
> >>
> >> Our original plan was to update management/networking/backend at once by
> >> using
> >> rolling updates to newer release and then upgrade compute nodes one by
> one
> >> new release.. I think that [2] provides a general upgrade manual. Is
> there
> >> any
> >> document describing how are different OSA releases compatible ? Is there
> >> any
> >> policy in place about backward compatibility ?
> >

> > As a general rule, OpenStack only supports an online upgrade of one
> version
> > at a time.  That is, controller nodes running version N can talk to
> compute
> > nodes running version N-1.
> >
> > If you can tolerate downtime of the API layer, there has been some
> > discussion around "skip-level" upgrades.
> >
> > Chris

> Hello,
>
> Having worked on "skip level" upgrades, I can tell you that it's
> simpler to do the upgrades in a row, because it's a more tested path.
>
> Best regards,
> Jean-Philippe Evrard (evrardjp)

Regards.

Adam