[Openstack-operators] Openstack release compatibility

Jean-Philippe Evrard jean-philippe at evrard.me
Thu Nov 2 09:52:58 UTC 2017

On 31 October 2017 at 07:13, haad <haaaad at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have an OSA installation with 10-12 compute nodes running Mitaka on
> Ubuntu 16.04. As initially we have not prepared any long term update
> strategy we would like to create one now. Plan would be to upgrade it to new
> OSA release(Ocata/Pike/Queens) in near future.
>
> Our original plan was to update management/networking/backend at once by
> using rolling updates to newer release and then upgrade compute nodes one by
> one to new release.. I think that [2] provides a general upgrade manual. Is
> there any document describing how are different OSA releases compatible ? Is
> there any policy in place about backward compatibility ?
>

> [1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/osa-newton-xenial-upgrade
> [2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Upgrade-with-minimal-downtime
>
> --
>

> Regards.
>
> Adam

Hello,

I'd advise you to follow the standard OpenStack-Ansible path, which is
upgrading from Mitaka to Newton, then do your ubuntu upgrade to
xenial.
>From Newton onwards, we have code taking care of the rolling part of
the upgrade, which should help you getting to Pike, after a series of
upgrades (N->O->P) under ubuntu 16.04.

Best regards,
Jean-Philippe Evrard (evrardjp)