[Openstack-operators] preferred option to fix long-standing user-visible bug in nova?

Marc Heckmann marc.heckmann at ubisoft.com
Thu May 25 19:53:13 UTC 2017

Sorry for the late reply, but see below.

On Mon, 2017-05-15 at 11:46 -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In Mitaka nova introduced the "cpu_thread_policy" which can be
> specified in
> flavor extra-specs.  In the original spec, and in the original
> implementation,
> not specifying the thread policy in the flavor was supposed to be
> equivalent to
> specifying a policy of "prefer", and in both cases if the image set a
> policy
> then nova would use the image policy.
>
> In Newton, the code was changed to fix a bug but there was an
> unforeseen side
> effect.  Now the behaviour is different depending on whether the
> flavor
> specifies no policy at all or specifies a policy of
> "prefer".   Specifically, if
> the flavor doesn't specify a policy at all and the image does then
> we'll use the
> flavor policy.  However, if the flavor specifies a policy of "prefer"
> and the
> image specifies a different policy then we'll use the flavor policy.
>
> This is clearly a bug (tracked as part of bug #1687077), but it's now
> been out
> in the wild for two releases (Newton and Ocata).
>
> What do operators think we should do?  I see two options, neither of
> which is
> really ideal:
>
> 1) Decide that the "new" behaviour has been out in the wild long
> enough to
> become the defacto standard and update the docs to reflect
> this.  This breaks
> the "None and 'prefer' are equivalent" model that was originally
> intended.
>
> 2) Fix the bug to revert back to the original behaviour and backport
> the fix to
> Ocata.  Backporting to Newton might not happen since it's in phase
> II
> maintenance.  This could potentially break anyone that has come to
> rely on the
> "new" behaviour.

Whatever will or has been chosen should match the documentation.
Personally, we would never do anything other than specifying the policy
in the flavor as our flavors are associated w/ HW  profiles but I could
see how other operators might manage things differently. That being
said, that sort of thing should not necessarily be user controlled and
I haven't really explored Glance property protections..

So from my point of view "cpu_thread_policy" set in the flavor should
take precedence over anything else.

-m