[Openstack-operators] [Nova] [Cells] Stupid question: Cells v2 & AZs

David Medberry openstack at medberry.net
Wed May 24 03:14:58 UTC 2017

Hi Devs and Implementers,

A question came up tonight in the Colorado OpenStack meetup regarding cells
v2 and availability zones.

Can a cell contain multiple AZs? (I assume this is yes.)

Can an AZ contain mutliple cells (I assumed this is no, but now in thinking
about it, that's probably not right.)

What's the proper way to think about this? In general, I'm considering AZs
primarily as a fault zone type of mechanism (though they can be used in
other ways.)

Is there a clear diagram/documentation about this?

And consider this to be an Ocata/Pike and later only type of question.

Thanks.

-dave