[Openstack-operators] [nova][ironic][scheduler][placement] IMPORTANT: Getting rid of the automated reschedule functionality

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Tue May 23 19:58:20 UTC 2017

On Tue, 23 May 2017, James Penick wrote:

> I agree that a single entry point to OpenStack would be fantastic. If it
> existed, scheduling, quota, etc would have moved out of Nova a long time
> ago, and Nova at this point would be just a small VM driver. Unfortunately
> such a thing does not yet exist, and Nova has the momentum and mind share
> as -The- entry point for all things Compute in OpenStack.

[snip some reality]

> Perhaps this is a place where the TC and Foundation should step in and
> foster the existence of a porcelain API. Either by constructing something
> new, or by growing Nova into that thing.

If we're talking big crazy changes: Why not take the "small VM
driver" (presumably nova-compute) out of Nova? What stays behind is
_already_ orchestration but missing some features and having a fair
few bugs.

Way back in April[1] ttx asserted:

     One insight which I think we could take from this is that when a
     smaller group of people "owns" a set of files, we raise quality
     (compared to everyone owning everything). So the more we can
     split the code along areas of expertise and smaller review
     teams, the better. But I think that is also something we
     intuitively knew.

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-April/115061.html

--
Chris Dent                  ┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)       https://anticdent.org/