[Openstack-operators] DB deadlocks due to connection string

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Tue May 23 18:00:35 UTC 2017

One scenario would be to change the default and allow the exceptions to opt out (e.g. mysql-pymysql (

Tim

On 23.05.17, 19:08, "Matt Riedemann" <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote:

    On 5/23/2017 11:38 AM, Sean McGinnis wrote:

    >> This sounds like something we could fix completely by dropping the
    >> use of the offending library. I know there was a lot of work done
    >> to get pymysql support in place. It seems like we can finish that by
    >> removing support for the old library and redirecting mysql://
    >> connections to use pymysql.
    >>
    >> Doug
    >>

    > I think that may be ideal. If there are known issues with the library,
    > and we have a different and well tested alternative that we know works,
    > it's probably easier all around to just redirect internally to use
    > pymysql.
    >
    > The one thing I don't know is if there are any valid reasons for someone
    > wanting to use mysql over pymysql.

    The mysql library doesn't support python 3 and doesn't support eventlet,
    as far as I remember, which is why there was the push to adopt pymysql.
    But it's been years now so I can't remember exactly. I think Rackspace
    was still using the mysql backend for public cloud because of some
    straight to sql execution stuff they were doing for costly DB APIs [1]
    but I'd think that could be ported.

    Anyway, +1 to dropping the mysql library and just rely on pymysql.

    [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/243822/

    Matt