[Openstack-operators] [nova][ironic][scheduler][placement][heat] IMPORTANT: Getting rid of the automated reschedule functionality

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Mon May 22 18:24:02 UTC 2017

So.... one gut reaction is this is going to make more heat stacks fail. If pushing the orchestration stuff out of nova's the goal, you probably should involve heat so that it knows the difference between a vm that failed because it was scheduled poorly and can just be resubmitted and a vm that failed for other reasons?

To your comment do one thing well comment, I agree, but not necessarily with your conclusion. if nova's api is to provide a way for a user to launch a vm, if it fails more often due to internal issues such as scheduling races, thats nova's failure (or at least a machine's job to handle the failure) not the users.  The same retry code has to get implemented either way. Retry in nova, or retry by the thing driving nova. If there are a lot of different things driving nova (a lot of things already), then it means reimplementing the same solution over and over again in all the things. That makes openstack harder to use, and its already hard to use. Thats not a good path to continue to be on.

Maybe your right, that all retries should be external to the individual projects and maybe done by a central openstack retry daemon or something, and maybe nova'api's a low level api users shouldn't actually be talking to, but instead talking to an 'openstack cli, but for rest' kind of api. Thats something that openstack as a whole probably needs to talk about anyway. Each project keeps evolving their api's separately without central discussion of these sorts of cross cutting concerns that maybe are better solved the same way.

Also, for the record, I do use anit-affinity groups all the time, but haven't touched nfv.

Thanks,
Kevin