[Openstack-operators] [nova] Bug heads up: Significant increase in DB connections with cells since Newton

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Fri May 19 22:54:30 UTC 2017

Hey Folks,

I wanted to give everyone a heads up that we have found and fixed a bug
[1] on master where the number of database connections had increased so
much that we were starting to hit a "OperationalError
(pymysql.err.OperationalError) (1040, u'Too many connections')" in the
gate on some work-in-progress patches. The problem of an increased
number of database connections goes all the way back to Newton, based on
when the cell database connecting code was written along with a report
from at least one operator who has upgraded to Newton.

Upon investigation, we found that the way we were establishing
connections to cell databases was effectively "leaking" connections and
we have merged a fix on master and have backports to Ocata and Newton in
progress [2].

Once we have merged the backports, we'll be releasing new versions from
stable/newton and stable/ocata with the fix ASAP.

Thanks,
melanie

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1691545
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bug/1691545