[Openstack-operators] Fwd: [openstack-dev] [openstack-doc] [dev] What's up doc? Summit recap edition

Melvin Hillsman mrhillsman at gmail.com
Fri May 19 12:30:20 UTC 2017

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Alexandra Settle <a.settle at outlook.com>
Date: Fri, May 19, 2017 at 6:12 AM
Subject: [openstack-dev] [openstack-doc] [dev] What's up doc? Summit recap
edition
To: "openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org" <openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org

openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>

Hi everyone,

The OpenStack manuals project had a really productive week at the OpenStack
summit in Boston. You can find a list of all the etherpads and attendees
here: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/docs-summit

As we all know, we are rapidly losing key contributors and core reviewers.
We are not alone, this is happening across the board. It is making things
harder, but not impossible. Since our inception in 2010, we’ve been
climbing higher and higher trying to achieve the best documentation we
could, and uphold our high standards. This is something to be incredibly
proud of. However, we now need to take a step back and realise that the
amount of work we are attempting to maintain is now out of reach for the
team size that we have. At the moment we have 13 cores, of which none are
full time contributors or reviewers. This includes myself.

That being said! I have spent the last week at the summit talking to some
of our leaders, including Doug Hellmann (cc’d), Jonathan Bryce and Mike
Perez regarding the future of the project. Between myself and other
community members, we have been drafting plans and coming up with a new
direction that will hopefully be sustainable in the long-term.

I am interested to hear your thoughts. I want to make sure that everyone
feels that we’re headed in the right direction first and foremost. All of
these action items are documented in this WIP etherpad:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/doc-planning

Some further highlights from the event…

·         The documentation team was represented by myself, Olga, and Alex
Adamov for the Project Update: Documentation on the Monday. If you’d like
to catch up with what we talked about, the video is available online now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcfbKxbpRvc The translation team PTL, Ian
Choi, also had a session about getting more involved with the I18N team.
You can view that video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybFI4nez_Z8

·         Ian and I also hosted the joint I18N and documentation onboarding
session. We were visited by some friendly faces, and some new ones. Between
Ian and myself, we discussed the documentation and translation workflows,
and how to get involved (the mailing list, IRC channel, etc). Which was
lots of fun :) we’d love to see more people there in the future, hopefully
we’ll slowly get there!

·         This week I was focusing heavily on making the community aware
that the documentation team was struggling to maintain contributors, but
continuing with the same amount of work. This was a heavy conversation to
be having, but it posed some really interesting questions to key leaders,
and hopefully raised appropriate concerns. Ildiko and I hosted “OpenStack
documentation: The future depends on all of us”. This was a really
interesting session. I was able to pose to the group of attendees that the
documentation team was struggling to maintain contributions. Major Hayden
was kind enough to take notes during the session, you can find those here:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/doc-future  The project teams that came
and represented their groups were interested in discussing the
project-specific documentation (is living in the project’s repo tree the
best place?) and voiced concerns I had otherwise not heard before. I
recommend reading the notes to get a better idea :)

·         Kendall Nelson and Ildiko also hosted a session on the OpenStack
Upstream Institute highlights. I recommend watching the video which is now
live and available here: https://www.openstack.org/
videos/boston-2017/openstack-upstream-institute-highlights

·         One of the key takeaways from the summit was the session that I
joint moderated with Melvin Hillsman regarding the Operations and
Administration Guides. You can find the etherpad with notes here:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/admin-ops-guides  The session was really
helpful – we were able to discuss with the operators present the current
situation of the documentation team, and how they could help us maintain
the two guides, aimed at the same audience. The operator’s present at the
session agreed that the Administration Guide was important, and could be
maintained upstream. However, they voted and agreed that the best course of
action for the Operations Guide was for it to be pulled down and put into a
wiki that the operators could manage themselves. We will be looking at
actioning this item as soon as possible.

These action items will free up the documentation team to become gate
keepers and reviewers of documentation. Our key focus as a team will be on
the tooling for the docs.openstack.org site (including the API docs).

I’m really interested to hear everyone’s thoughts going forward – this is
not set in stone. We need to change our strategy, and now is the time. If
you’d rather reach out and discuss this personally, *asettle* on IRC is
always the best place to find me.

Thanks,

Alex

Kind regards,

Melvin Hillsman
mrhillsman at gmail.com
mobile: (832) 264-2646

Learner | Ideation | Belief | Responsibility | Command