[Openstack-operators] RFC - Global Request Ids

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue May 16 16:01:08 UTC 2017

After the forum session on logging, we came up with what we think is an
approach here for global request ids -
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/464746/ - it would be great of
interested operators would confirm this solves their concerns.

There is also an open question. A long standing concern was "trusting"
the request-id, though I don't really know how that could be exploited
for anything really bad, and this puts in a system for using service
users as a signal for trust.

But.... the whole system is a lot easier, and comes together quicker, if
we don't have that. For especially public cloud users, are there any
concerns that you have in letting users set Request-Id (assuming you'll
also still have a 2nd request-id that's service local and acts like
request-id today)?

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague