[Openstack-operators] Remote pacemaker on compute nodes

Curtis serverascode at gmail.com
Fri May 12 22:32:04 UTC 2017

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 8:51 AM, Ignazio Cassano
<ignaziocassano at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
> I installed openstack newton p
> with a pacemaker cluster made up of 3 controllers and 2 compute nodes. All
> computer have centos 7.3.
> Compute nodes are provided with remote pacemaker ocf resource.
> If before shutting down a compute node I disable the compute node resource
> in the cluster and enable it when the compute returns up, it work fine and
> cluster shows it online.
> If the compute node goes down before disabling the compute node resource in
> the cluster, it remains offline also after it is powered up.
> The only solution I found is removing the compute node resource in the
> cluster and add it again with a different name (adding this new name in all
> controllers /etc/hosts file).
> With the above workaround it returns online for the cluster and all its
> resources  (openstack-nova-compute etc etc....) return to work fine.
> Please,  does anyone know a better solution ?

What are you using pacemaker for on the compute nodes? I have not done
that personally, but my impression is that sometimes people do that in
order to have virtual machines restarted somewhere else should the
compute node go down outside of a maintenance window (ie. "instance
high availability"). Is that your use case? If so, I would imagine
there is some kind of clean up procedure to put the compute node back
into use when pacemaker thinks it has failed. Did you use some kind of
openstack distribution or follow a particular installation document to
enable this pacemaker setup?

It sounds like everything is working as expected (if my guess is
right) and you just need the right steps to bring the node back into
the cluster.

Thanks,
Curtis.

> Regards