[Openstack-operators] How do you determine remaining (cloud) capacity?

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Thu May 4 17:26:34 UTC 2017

So just wanted to throw this email out there to explore the area a
little bit (since it's an ongoing issue that keeps on getting raised at
godaddy),

The basic question is how as a cloud operator (or developer in a cloud
group) do you recommend to your superiors (or people ordering hardware
or network gear and so-on) that they need more cloud capacity?

It doesn't appear that nova has a 'leftover capacity for XYZ flavor' api
or cinder a 'how many more volumes at X or Y or Z size' (or neutron with
networks or IPs ...) so that makes me wonder how are people predicting
when they need more hardware (or a more networks or more volume storage
or more floating ips or ... and so on).

At godaddy we have this concept of a capacity dashboard that was doing
all sorts of things to try to predict remaining capacity (if people
really want this kind of code I can opensource it, though I will say it
is *not* pretty).

For example (image attached of what one of these dashboards looks like):

- For a given set of flavors, how many more instances can be created
with that flavor before no capacity in the cloud is left (ie giving
people planning capacity a useful date when no more capacity will be left).
- Same as ^ with floating ips (static ips also), ram, vcpus, ...

Though part of what the above is missing is that same information
per-tenant/project, per-user and such (ie various slicing and dicing of
the same data)...

Though this dashboard and its associated code/scripts was/is basically
scrapping a bunch of the various openstack APIs, sending that
information into hadoop and then using hive to extract all this various
information. Though technically not horrible it does seem like the
various openstack project APIs should provide there own projections of
this same data (without needing to scape it, send it to hadoop and then
do various projections there).

So general kind of question, how are people (other cloud operators or
developers) figuring out this information? Is there something that
others would like to get natively integrated into projects? Is there
work already ongoing to do that?

-Josh