[Openstack-operators] Flavors

Chris Sevey csevey at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 15 23:07:25 UTC 2017

I think it can help add enough predictability and structure to keep costs down as well.  If you know the end users will be using 1 of 25 different pre-configured packages, you can somewhat reliably configure hardware sku's around that because often the packages are a fractional size of the hardware platform.  If you open it up to anything goes, you run the risk of having someone that wants 2 cores and 200GB of memory for some SQL server.  They want everything in memory but they don't want to pay the M$ licenses for additional cores.  So now you have a vm on a physical server somewhere with excess CPU cycles that can't be used because the VM that's on it has sucked up all the memory.  The poor utilization of resources then result in increase overhead and higher costs due to the inefficiencies.