[Openstack-operators] Flavors

James Downs egon at egon.cc
Wed Mar 15 22:22:48 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 10:10:00PM +0000, Fox, Kevin M wrote:
> I think the really short answer is something like: It greatly simplifies scheduling and billing.

The real answer is that once you buy hardware, it's in a fixed radio of CPU/Ram/Disk/IOPS, etc.

In order to use the hardware effectively, you need to make a set of flavors that fit into the hardware appropriately.
If some customer comes along and takes all the ram, or cpu, for example, effectively, no one else can use the rest of the machine.

That's why the public cloud vendors have different physical SKUs for the different classes of flavors, and you'll find different ratios of resources across them.

Cheers,
-j