[Openstack-operators] RFC - hierarchical quota models

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Mar 7 16:52:53 UTC 2017

One of the things that came out of the PTG was perhaps a new path
forward on hierarchical limits that involves storing of limits in
keystone doing counting on the projects. Members of the developer
community are working through all that right now, that's not really what
this is about.

As a related issue, it seemed that every time that we talk about this
space, people jump into describing how they think the counting /
enforcement would work. It became clear that people were overusing the
word "overbooking" to the point where it didn't have a lot of meaning.

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/441203/ is a reference document that I
started in writing out every model I thought I heard people talk about,
the rules with it, and starting to walk through the kind of algorithm
needed to update limits, as well as check quota on ones that seem like
we might move forward with.

It is full of blockdiag markup, which makes the rendered HTML the best
way to view it -
http://docs-draft.openstack.org/03/441203/11/check/gate-keystone-specs-docs-ubuntu-xenial/c3fc2b3//doc/build/html/specs/keystone/backlog/hierarchical-quota-scenarios.html

There are specific question to the operator community here:

Are there other models you believe are not represented that you think
should be considered? if so, what are the rules of them so I can throw
them into the document.

Would love to try to model everything under consideration here. It seems
like the conversations go around in circles a bit because everyone is
trying to keep everything in working memory, and paging out parts.
Diagrams hopefully ensure we all are talking about the same things.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net