[Openstack-operators] [User-committee] [docs][all][ptl] Contributor Portal and Better New Contributor On-boarding

Mike Perez thingee at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 20:12:54 UTC 2017

On June 29, 2017 at 13:01:09, Amy Marrich (amy at demarco.com) wrote:
> First off it looks really sleek and I love the look! A few thoughts though
> and I do realize it's just a mock up:
>
> 1) We have Sponsor just to pick one but don't have Operators/Administrators
> and their feedback is a major contribution so please don't leave them out.

Ah yes, I should’ve mentioned earlier that this is totally a POC.
There are lots missing, don’t worry! :)

> 2) I would list the contributor types in alphabetical order that way no
> group feels slighted, you can't help it if Use Cases are last it's just
> that they start with a U vs Code which is a C.

Sure!

> 3) What if you would like to contribute in multiple ways?

You would come back to the main contributor portal and click on a
different contribution. How about at the end of each lesson it gives
them the option to go back to main contributor portal to pick another
way to contribute?

> Resources are definitely still underdevelopment there but are they meant to
> be broad applicable to all resources with more specialized one's visible
> when you click on how you'd like to contribute?

That’s a good question. I think it should probably on top contain the
more general stuff, then in alphabetical order we can list resources
for all contribution types? It can be like the “I want to contribute
to OpenStack by…” top piece, but instead lists resource links to pick
through based on your contribution type(s). Maybe we keep them as
separate pages as originally given in the mock up so it’s not overly
crowded?

Thanks for the help Amy!

—
Mike Perez