[Openstack-operators] Leveraging Gnocchi in Mitaka

gordon chung gord at live.ca
Mon Jun 26 12:47:59 UTC 2017

On 24/06/17 10:49 PM, Mike Smith wrote:
> We use ceilometer-compute and we would like to have it push metrics directly to Gnocchi, bypassing the rabbit queues that ceilometer uses in the default Mitaka configuration.  Currently our ceilometer-compute pushes to the notification queue, which gets consumed by a ceilometer process and put into the metrics queue, which in turn gets consumed and pushed to gnocchi by the another ceilometer process.
>
> We have tried to set the ‘publisher’ in the ceilometer pipeline.yaml file to gnocchi:// instead of notifier://, but it doesn’t seem to do anything.  No errors or anything, it just doesn’t seem to try and send metrics to the configured gnocchi endpoint.
>
> We are running RDO and have openstack-ceilometer-compute-6.1.3-2.el7.   We’re curious if a different version of openstack-ceilometer-compute is required in order to send metrics directly to gnocchi

changing publiser to gnocchi:// won't work in mitaka. this was only done
in Ocata i believe. you'd have to backport[1] if you want to use
gnocchi:// directly. alternatively, you can put direct:// and it should
allow you to avoid collector service.

that said, you cannot push directly from polling agents -- not without
some hacking. all the pipeline work is handled by notification agent. if
you don't need any transformations than it's possible to skip
notification agent but this requires hacking your code as we do not
support this. i imagine this would be a welcomed addition, we just don't
have resources to implement it.

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/ceilometer/commit/f843b7882fb806cf564c5b3106f601815a48c93b

--