[Openstack-operators] [deployment] [oslo] [ansible] [tripleo] [kolla] [helm] Configuration management with etcd / confd

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Wed Jun 7 11:20:51 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 6:08 PM, Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com> wrote:
> Following-up the session that we had in Boston:
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/BOS-forum-future-of-configuration-management
>
> Here's an update on where we are and what is being done.
>

> == Machine Readable Sample Config
>
> Ben's spec has been merged: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/440835/
> And also the code which implements it: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/451081/
> He's now working on the documentation on how to use the feature.
>
> $ oslo-config-generator --namespace keystone --formal yaml > keystone.yaml
>
> Here's an example of the output for Keystone config: https://clbin.com/EAfFM
> This feature was asked at the PTG, and it's already done!
>

> == Pluggable drivers for oslo.config
>
> Doug's spec has been well written and the feedback from Summit and the
> review was taken in account: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/454897/
> It's now paused because we think we could use confd (with etcd driver)
> to generate configuration files.
>
> Imagine the work done by Ben in Machine Readable Sample Config, that
> would allow us to generate Confd templates for all services (Keystone,
> Nova, etc) via a tool provided in oslo.config with all the options
> available for a namespace.

I'm also wondering if we could use oslo-config-generate directly to
generate confd templates, with a new format. So we would have ini,
yaml, json and confd.
"confd" format would be useful when building rpms that we ship in containers.
"yaml" format would be useful for installers to expose the options
directly to the User Interface, so we know which params OpenStack
provide and we could re-use the data to push it into etcd.

Would it make sense?

--
Emilien Macchi