[Openstack-operators] [OpenStack-docs] [doc] Operations Guide removal

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Wed Jul 19 14:51:08 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 5:51 AM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Blair Bethwaite's message of 2017-07-19 20:40:25 +1000:
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> I just managed to take a half hour to look at this and have a few
>> questions/comments towards making a plan for how to proceed with
>> moving the Ops Guide content to the wiki...
>>
>> 1) Need to define wiki location and structure. Curiously at the moment
>> there is already meta content at
>> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/OpsGuide, Maybe the
>> content could live at https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OpsGuide? I
>> think it makes sense to follow the existing structure with possible
>> exception of culling wrong / very-out-of-date content (but perhaps
>> anything like that should be done as a later step and keep it simple
>> aiming for a "like-for-like" migration to start with)...?
>
> Yes, I would recommend moving the existing content and then making any
> major changes to it.
>
>> 2) Getting the content into the wiki. Looks like there is no obvious
>> up-to-date RST import functionality for MediaWiki. Pandoc seems as
>> though it might support some useful conversions but I didn't try this
>> yet and don't have any experience with it - can anyone say with
>> authority whether it is worth pursuing?
>
> I can't say with authority myself, but I can refer to Anne as an
> authority. :-)

Ha, well, I think Pandoc is the one to try first, let's say that for starters.

Here's what I was thinking:
If you're interested in the export, run an experiment with Pandoc to
convert from RST to Mediawiki.

http://pandoc.org/demos.html

You'll likely still have cleanup but it's a start. Only convert
troubleshooting to start, which gets the most hits: docs.openstack.org/
ops-guide/ops-network-troubleshooting.html
Then see how much you get from Pandoc.

Hope this helps -
Anne

>> 3) Future management - obvious can of worms given this is much better
>> addressed by all the tooling and scaffolding the docs team already
>> provides around the repos... but nonetheless some expectations may
>> need to be set upfront to avoid future pain.
>
> What sort of issues do you foresee?
>
> Doug

Read my blog: justwrite.click
Subscribe to Docs|Code: docslikecode.com