[Openstack-operators] [telemetry][ceilometer][panko] ceilometer event API removal

gordon chung gord at live.ca
Wed Jan 18 13:57:05 UTC 2017

hi,

unfortunately i noticed this thread never made it to the operators list.
there is a thread regarding the removal of Ceilometer Event API in
Ocata[1]. this is only related to the storage and access of events. the
generation of events remains in Ceilometer.

as a quick summary: the telemetry upstream team is small and does not
have resources to maintain duplicate code so we removed the deprecated
event code from Ceilometer and it is supported in Panko only now. we
decided not to drag our feet with removal since the Event code has been
idle for over a year now upstream and seems no one has made an effort to
support it.

the current gaps we have between code removed from Ceilometer and Panko is:
- ceilometerclient support only works if Ceilometer api is enabled (but
support for client only redirect to panko is in merge queue)
- there was a single event tempest test in Ceilometer which was not
ported to Panko. this item remains still

if you have any concerns, i highly suggest you provide feedback,
specifically if you notice any other gaps. there is a revert patch[2]
just in case there is a scenario that warrants us putting it back into
Ocata but again, we are a super small team so it's best to provide some
resources to actually maintain it if you'd like Events to continue on.

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-January/109839.html

cheers,
--