[Openstack-operators] [Glance] [Nova] Multiple backends / Qcow Derived Images

Blair Bethwaite blair.bethwaite at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 09:06:20 UTC 2017

On 5 January 2017 at 19:47, Rui Chen <chenrui.momo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah, Adam, got your point, I found two related Nova blueprints that were
> similar with your idea,
> but there are not any activities about them from 2014, I hadn't dive deep
> into these comments,
> you might get some background information at there.
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/image-precacher

Whilst it is a valid use-case, I don't see a huge amount of utility in
this as compared to running a local nova-compute facing glance-api +
glance-cache. You can have that as a control plane service, and with
LAN-typical bandwidths available you're probably better off saving on
the compute side capacity requirements and/or complexity of management
as opposed to the extra few seconds of download time incurred on the
occasional boot of a not frequently used image.

If absolute minimal instance boot times are required then some kind of
CoW capable shared storage might be a better option.

--
Cheers,
~Blairo