[Openstack-operators] Ops Meetups - paragraphs for the annual report

Melvin Hillsman mrhillsman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 20:24:32 UTC 2017

Sorry for the delay. Here are more words :) with need for revision/changes
and plugging in the number of attendees and companies representing during
this past Fall mid-cycle in NYC; unfortunately I do not have but believe
Foundation may.

I am no scholar but hope this is a good starting point.

####

One signficant accomplishment in 2016 was the creation of the Ops Meetups
Team. The Ops Meetups Team came together early in the year with the hope of
the operator community driving mid-cycle and Ops Summit planning. In just
over six months the Ops Meetups Team has successfully planned, organized,
and executed a mid-cycle and the Barcelona Ops Summit.

During the Fall 2016 Ops Mid-cycle held in New York City and hosted by
Bloomberg, we had approximately [# of attendees] attendees representing at
least [# of companies] companies. Sessions ignited discussions ranging from
the physical hardware layer to NFV and containerizing the OpenStack control
plane to orchestrating with Kubernetes. While not only focusing on the
underlying technology driving all the *aaS, folks talked about the
supporting cast of logging, monitoring, and alerting tools, and much more.

Attending these events afford Operators the opportunity to come away being
energized with new creative ways to address their day-to-day requirements
and exciting ideas about how they can offer more to themselves and their
stakeholders using the robust OpenStack platform. OpenStack at large
benefits as the community of operators, engineers, application developers,
and end users spend quality time with each other sustaining the wave of
momentum for OpenStack's future.

The Ops Meetups Team operates openly having IRC meetings Tuesdays at 15:00
UTC in #openstack-operators. Currently in the organization and execution
phase of the Ops Spring Mid-cycle, March 15-16 2017 in Milan, Italy, the
team looks forward to growing and working together.

####

On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 8:57 AM, Tim Bell <Tim.Bell at cern.ch> wrote:

> Can we also include a credit for the company that hosted the mid-cycle?
>

> Tim
>

> *From: *Lauren Sell <lauren at openstack.org>
> *Date: *Monday, 2 January 2017 at 15:01
> *To: *Melvin Hillsman <mrhillsman at gmail.com>
> *Cc: *openstack-operators <openstack-operators at lists.openstack.org>
> *Subject: *Re: [Openstack-operators] Ops Meetups - paragraphs for the
> annual report
>

> Thanks, Melvin! I think this looks really good. I would just recommend
> adding a couple of sentences about the high level value of the events for
> those who are not familiar. What were the goals and outcomes of the
> operator’s gatherings, what was the impact to the larger community and
> software?
>

> On Jan 2, 2017, at 1:38 AM, Melvin Hillsman <mrhillsman at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Great idea. Here is my 0.02
>

> Ops Meetups Team came together early in the year with the hope of the
> Operator community driving mid-cycles and summit planning. In just over six
> months the Ops Meetups Team has successfully planned, organized, and
> executed a mid-cycle and the Barcelona Ops Summit. The Ops Meetups Team
> operates openly having IRC meetings Tuesdays at 15:00 UTC in
> #openstack-operators. Currently in the organization and execution phase of
> the Ops Spring Mid-cycle the team looks forward to growing and working
> together in 2017.
>
> --
>
> *Melvin Hillsman*
>
> Ops Technical Lead
> OpenStack Innovation Center
>
> mrhillsman at gmail.com
> phone: (210) 312-1267
> mobile: (210) 413-1659
> Learner | Ideation | Belief | Responsibility | Command
>
> http://osic.org
>

> On Jan 1, 2017, at 21:08, Tom Fifield <tom at openstack.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Ops Meetups Team,
>
> Each year, the Foundation produces an annual report summarising the
> activities from the year before. It would be great to one or two paragraphs
> from the ops meetups team describing how we work and some info about the
> past and upcoming events.
>
> Anyone game?
>

> Regards,
>

> Tom

Kind regards,

mrhillsman at gmail.com
phone: (210) 312-1267
mobile: (210) 413-1659
http://osic.org

Learner | Ideation | Belief | Responsibility | Command