[Openstack-operators] Forum Brainstorming???

Shamail Tahir itzshamail at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 20:38:30 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

you've participated in an ops meetup before, this should seem pretty
comfortable. If not, note that this is *not* a classic conference track
with speakers and presentations. OpenStack community members (participants
in development teams, working groups, and other interested individuals)
discuss the topics they want to cover and get alignment on and we welcome
your participation.

The Forum is for the entire community to come together; create a neutral
space rather than having separate “ops” and “dev” days. Boston marks the
start of the Queen's release cycle, where ideas and requirements will be
gathered. Users should aim to come armed with feedback from February's
Ocata release if at all possible. We aim to ensure the broadest coverage of
topics that will allow for multiple parts of the community getting together
to discuss key areas within our community/projects.

Examples of the types of discussions and some sessions that might fit
within each one:

   - *Strategic, whole-of-community discussions*, to think about the big
   picture, including beyond just one release cycle and new technologies

   - eg *Making OpenStack One Platform for containers/VMs/Bare Metal*
(Strategic
   session) the entire community congregates to share opinions on how to make
   OpenStack achieve its integration engine goal

   - *Cross-project sessions*, in a similar vein to what has happened at
   past design summits, but with increased emphasis on issues that are
   relevant to all areas of the community

   - eg *Rolling Upgrades at Scale* (Cross-Project session) – the Large
   Deployments Team collaborates with Nova, Cinder and Keystone to tackle
   issues that come up with rolling upgrades when there’s a large number of
   machines.

   - *Project-specific sessions*, where developers can ask users specific
   questions about their experience, users can provide feedback from the last
   release and cross-community collaboration on the priorities, and ‘blue sky’
   ideas for the next release.

   - *eg Neutron Pain* *Points* (Project-Specific session) – Co-organized
   by neutron developers and users. Neutron developers bring some specific
   questions they want answered, Neutron users bring feedback from the latest
   release and ideas about the future.

There are two stages to the brainstorming:
    1. Starting today, set up an etherpad with your group/team, or use one
on the list and start discussing ideas you'd like to talk about at the
Forum. Then, through +1s on etherpads and mailing list discussion, work out
which ones are the most needed - just like you did prior to the ops
events.
    2. Then, in a couple of weeks, we will open up a more formal web-based
tool for submission of abstracts that came out of the brainstorming on top.

We expect working groups may make their own etherpads, however the User
Committee offers a catch-all to get the widest feedback possible:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/BOS-UC-brainstorming

Feel free to use that, or make one for your group and add it to the list
at: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Forum/Boston2017

Thanks,
User Committee <https://www.openstack.org/foundation/user-committee/>