[Openstack-operators] [neutron] Questions about LinuxBridge Trunk-port implementation

Charles 'Boyo charlesboyo at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 12:14:14 UTC 2017

Hello all.

I recently setup the trunk-port plugin in a Newton environment using ML2
LinuxBridge and VLAN segmentation.

In my setup, the parent-port is a VLAN network (net1) with VLAN-ID 104
while the child-port is attached to another network (net2) with VLAN-ID 50.
The physnet (br-vlan) is attached to eth1 on the compute host.

On starting an instance with the parent-port, I observe that the child-port
in plumbed atop the parent such that traffic through it is double-tagged
104 + 50 as observed from the underlying host physical network (eth1) even
though there is another bridge setup for net2 with VLAN-ID 50.

The above description matches how VLAN sub-interfaces are usually setup
with Linux bridging but it isn't what I want to achieve here. My
requirement is that the child-port is attached in such a way as to have
it's traffic exit the physnet with a single VLAN tag of 50. Is that even
possible with the current approach to implementing trunk-port on Linux
bridges?

In my understanding, having created a VLAN 50 sub-interface on the physnet
(br-vlan) for the net2 bridge, all VLAN 50 traffic is shunted to net2 by
the Linux bridging code so communication with the external VLAN 50 network
must be via the net2 bridge. Would that mean the parent-port must be
attached to a flat network directly connected to the br-vlan physnet?

Regards,

Charles