[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] Large Contributing OpenStack Operators working group?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 18:19:18 UTC 2017

Thanks for the response, Andrew! Some replies inline.

On 02/03/2017 06:47 PM, UKASICK, ANDREW wrote:
> Hi Jay
>
> It seems like I blinked and 10 more emails flew by since last night.
> ;-)

No worries, happens all the time :)

> One of the difficulties for people like myself, and I think most of
> the LCOO participants are like me, is that I have full-time internal
> commitments with my employer that significantly limit the amount of
> time I can spend on things like Community email list. Frankly, that's
> at the heart of why we've been having conference calls when we
> meeting and using Slack.  We're just not able to be in IRC rooms
> through the day like the people we have committed to full-time
> community development work can.

Completely understand. That said, the advantage of IRC channels is that
they're logged and recorded automatically if managed under the OpenStack
infrastructure and therefore give you the benefit of auto-recording and
publishing the meeting minutes.

However, I do understand it can sometimes be difficult to follow IRC
conversations with lots of participants. Definitely has trade-offs.

OK, that's interesting. Do you envision the LCOO essentially being a
"sponsorship group" and that the Product Working Group (and other
working groups like LDT, Telco/NFV WG, Enterprise WG, etc) being the
groups that create the specs and "sell" the use cases/ideas? In other
words, LCOO would be more of a group that gets together and agrees on a
set of higher-level objectives for telcos and works with the business
internal stakeholders to identify resources the company is willing to
contribute to a particular effort. But the spec-writing and use case
fleshing-out would still be done by the existing working groups?

>>> Much of what you mention from the
>>> Confluence site, which we've only been using for about a month, is I
>>> think also being taken out of context. You called it "closed" but just
>>> as you were able to quickly and easily create an account, get access,
>>> and browse around, so can anyone else.
>
>> Sorry, when I said "closed" I meant that Atlassian products are not open-source. Atlassian owns the code and owns the content, which is why OpenStack teams don't use Jira and Confluence for work tracking.
>
> AH! I misunderstood.  You're right that Atlassian is not open-source, but let me say this for them, they're about as close as you can get and still be commercial.  It doesn't seem to be well known, but Atlassian has long (always?) made their products available for free to open-source projects.

I actually don't equate open source with "no cost" :) A closed platform
is one which cannot be modified by the customer, which is something that
is important to our community. That said, hey I'm definitely familiar
with Jira and other Atlassian products. Mirantis uses them every day. I
just brought up point about being a closed platform because of the LCOO
wiki page's assertion about aligning with the OpenStack Foundation. Hope
that's clear.

 > That's probably why they're so widely used. They also give you a copy
of the complete source code and license to modify it without breaking
your support.

Oh? I was not aware of that. This would certainly change my mind about
using Atlassian products...

 > Furthermore JIRA, Confluence, etc, are built with a plugin
architecture that works so well that they have their own app store (the
Atlassian marketplace). It works like the apps for your phone.  Anyone
can develop extensions and give them away for free or sell them through
the app store.  Some will add truly major enhancements, major changes to
the gui etc., yet they can be deployed or upgraded live and in
production with a mouse click.  I used to administer a 20,000 user
instance several years ago and it was already working that well back
then.  They're also very extensible in other ways with very robust and
stable API's and command line tools through which virtually all
functionality is exposed. Events can be made to trigger scripts and so
forth. It's pretty nice. As you observed OPNFV uses it and so do many
OpenStack Community members including OSIC and your own Mirantis. I know
because I used to have an account in their JIRA instance.  ;-)

Yup.

> Atlassian gave our LCOO group cloud instances of JIRA, JIRA Portfolio manager, Confluence, Confluence Questions (kinda like stack overflow), a really useful Calendar add-on and  individual and group video chat (hip chat) for free with a 2,000 user license.  They'd give us more tools as well, but we didn't need them. We're still not even using Hip Chat.

OK.

> It's important to not that we only use JIRA for planning & tracking purposes.  It does not take the place of any community tools. All dev work is done as usual. But people in more of a portfolio management type role often will use JIRA to create epics and stories. Then you have a story workflow that matches the community flow like BP > Spec > Committed > Merged.  The story describes the work item and contains links to the related bits and pieces in Launchpad, gerrit, etherpads, etc.  When a story goes from Committed to merged for example, the developer just drags it over to the Merged column in the JIRA Kanban board. Very simple and it meets a vital need.  Using JIRA and building in automation to do all the tracking is a possibility we've been giving some thought to in the PWG Story Tracker sub-team.  Don't know if that will be pursued or not.

Understood. This is a question/issue that we can have separately from
the "what's the purpose/plan of the LCOO compared to the existing
working groups" question that was really the heart of my initial email.
Consider this a full stop about the closed/open collaboration platform
question for this particular ML thread, cool? We can discuss that in a
followup email or thread so as to keep this thread focused on the
purpose/plan issue.

>  > > In fact you also had
>>> the complete ability to create your own pages, read and comment on the
>>> pages, edit or even delete the pages, put things on the calendar,
>>> whatever. The pages work like etherpads allowing simultaneous editing
>>> but with much more powerful tools and the convenience of a wiki
>>> format. And hey, it was free. The site is completely open except for
>>> one small section and that is explained if you stumbled across it.
>>> Other working groups routinely put things in secured Google docs and
>>> such. I don't think we're out of line but just this morning we
>>> discussed ways to be more open. We were not publishing all our
>>> meetings in the User Committee email list which was an oversight that
>>> we're correcting. I'd encourage you to just reach out to us with any
>>> questions or concerns before taking what certainly feels like a
>>> confrontational posture in such a broadly public forum.
>
>> I recognize that I have a tendency to be ideological and rigid in certain of my viewpoints, and I am sorry to have offended. Please accept my apologies, Andy. I sincerely wish to see open and productive collaboration between contributors and users of OpenStack.
>
> No offense taken!  I tried to be on my best behavior but I know I snuck in a few subtle digs. Please accept my apologies as well. I feel the same way that you do.\

Cool :)

>  > > We're all
>>> community members and we're exploring how best to make a significant,
>>> positive contribution. That is what everyone wants to do.
>
>> Cheers to that.
>
>>> I'm not a co-chair of LCOO, but I am a co-chair of a sub-team that we
>>> recently formed to begin laying the groundwork for what we hope will
>>> eventually become some significant contributions from a working group
>>> perspective. I don't speak for the group, I'm just telling you my
>>> opinion. First of all I cannot understand why the community would not
>>> want to welcome people who want to contribute?
>
>> Two points here.
>
>> Firstly, I certainly do not represent the entire OpenStack community :) I am but one (sometimes blunt, certainly emotional, but often wrong) opinion out of many. Please don't equate my questions with the broader OpenStack community not being welcoming.
>
>> Secondly, I absolutely *do* want to welcome people who want to contribute! And I'm not just talking about development contributions. I value documentation, bug reporting, spec writing, use case development, architectural research, marketing and all sorts of other contributions.
>> My goal is not to put up walls to contribution. Instead, my goal is to ensure that the avenues by which the OpenStack community gathers contributions (of all forms) don't overlap, since such overlap inevitably leads to missed opportunities and duplicated efforts.
>
> Understood. We want to be smart about this. We've been learning a lot (me especially since I probably started out as the most clueless one). The mistakes we've made are not for lack of desire to do our best; we're just learning.
>
>> A secondary goal of mine is to reduce bureaucracy in our governance and ensure that we have as unimpeded a pipeline as possible between the folks describing work that needs done, and the folks that are doing that work. Please take my questions as an effort to examine whether the additional process and structure of the LCOO is indeed warranted in order to accomplish the goals the LCOO member companies have.
>
> Understood.  One thing I've learned is that the UC and the working groups I've become involved with all want that as well.  There have been a lot of challenges but I think they're all moving things in a very good direction.  Solid, mutually beneficial partnerships between  "the folks describing work that needs done, and the folks that are doing that work" (as you say) I think will really be the key.

++

 > Because the companies participating in LCOO are contributing on both
ends, I'm hopeful that we may be able to help with that.

Cool. Again, I sincerely hope to see a productive and efficient driver
of customer use cases in OpenStack (and the broader cloud ecosystem).
Just want to make sure things that overlap/duplicate are done so for a
specific reason and not because of a lack of knowledge about those
overlapping groups/areas.

>  > >  I don't think that we
>>> deserve to be called about and have our right to exist challenged.
>>> You all work alongside the companies that have come together under
>>> LCOO every day. We're all community members. There is nothing
>>> nefarious going on, no hidden agenda, no secret bid for power or any
>>> other such thing.
>
>> Yes, I do work alongside the member companies of the LCOO every day. I'm close colleagues and friends with a number of folks in the LCOO.
>> However, I am not questioning anyone's right to existence. I am merely questioning whether the LCOO is set up in a way to ensure the success of its member companies' roadmaps.
>
> Fair enough. Sorry I was getting defensive. It was late and I had not gotten any supper yet... makes me grumpy.

LOL, you and I share the hangry gene I see :)

>  > >  There is no need for fear and anyone is welcome to
>>> attend meetings, view agendas and minutes, comment on and add to them.
>>> IMO, our identity could be best characterized as large operators whose
>>> companies are also committed to being significant contributors to the
>>> development effort. That brings some unique character to LCOO. We
>>> wanted to avoid creating a forum where everyone comes with their
>>> complaints, demands and wish lists. We wanted to create a group in
>>> which everyone has real skin in the game. In which everyone is a
>>> contributor. Our identity is also as USERS of openstack.
>
>> I think all of the above is awesome! That said, I don't think there are things about the existing OpenStack contributor ecosystem that have
>> *prevented* any of the LCOO member company's contributors from actively participating in the development of OpenStack projects. If there *are* things about the contributor ecosystem that have inhibited participation from Intel, Orange, AT&T, Reliance, NTT, etc, then let us address those issues directly. I personally would be pleased to have a discussion on those topics, as I'm sure the User Committee would as well.
>
> Personally I was able to attend my first Summit in Austen. It was jaw dropping and awesome. I have always been a big fan and support of open-source from the start. I actually managed to get the first open-source tool approved as "Standard" at ATT years ago (CVS).

As a former AT&T employee, I understand just how much work that was! :)

 > My experience with OpenStack has been nothing but positive in every
way. I LOVE the way that open-source empowers the little guy. I'm very
happy to have gotten the opportunity to become a part of this in my
professional life. It's ALL GOOD!

> <snip> >
>
>>> Another aspect of what we've been doing is providing a forum in which
>>> participants can discuss the challenges they're experiencing from a
>>> USER perspective. Share information, solutions, help one another. For
>>> example we had some meetings where AT&T presented about Gluon which
>>> you seem to have keyed in on. But the Gluon project is not being
>>> managed from within LCOO meetings. Gluon is a project that AT&T
>>> initiated, but as you saw, it's being managed separately. LCOO does
>>> not have an OPNFV jira instance. We do have an LCOO Jira instance,
>>> but we're still getting it ready to begin using it. You could have
>>> jumped right into it when you were in our Confluence site. They're
>>> integrated. We also dedicated many sessions to sharing what each
>>> other is working on in the community. But none of that work has been
>>> planned or driven from within LCOO thus far and that is not our
>>> focus. We want to be aware of one another's efforts, offer feedback
>>> and support, but LCOO is not the BORG. That said though, we are
>>> hoping to take on a small number of efforts for the Community of the
>>> nature I described earlier under the PWG Process linked above. I'm
>>> optimistic that we may be able to do that in time to (if all goes
>>> smoothly) see actual development underway in Queens. That's something
>>> that we'll need JIRA for, to help with the planning and tracking
>>> across the broad openstack portfolio. That's the same way that many
>>> others in the community use JIRA, including OSIC who we recently had
>>> meetings with to explore how they were using it.
>>>
>>> Personally I resent having our right to form a working group like
>>> this challenged at all. But I hope I've been able to lay some of your
>>> concerns to rest. The bottom line is that we're all in this together.
>>> Politics be damned, let's pull together and do all that we can to
>>> make OpenStack as great as it can be and make the world a better
>>> place along the way.
>
>> Trust me, politics was the last thing I had in mind when I wrote my
>> questions about the LCOO!
>
>  > >  Here in the USA where I live, I find myself
>>> rather disgusted with politics right now. Let's move forward.
>
>> You and me both, Andy. And I'm happy to move the conversation forward
>> with you, constructively.
>
> Do you like beer?  I DO!  Let's meetup in Boston and get to know each other better.  :-)

Yes, beer and me go way back. Let's definitely meet in person in Boston
(or sooner, depending on events)

> And if you can, please come and meet with our LCOO folks while you're there. We'll be on the schedule so you can find us.
> That goes for everyone!  ;-)

That would be great! :)

Best,
-jay