[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] Large Contributing OpenStack Operators working group?

Sean M. Collins sean at coreitpro.com
Fri Feb 3 14:28:54 UTC 2017

Jay Pipes wrote:
> 4) I see a lot of agenda items around projects like Gluon, Craton, Watcher,
> and Blazar. I don't see any concrete ideas about talking with the developers
> of the key infrastructure services that OpenStack is built around. How does
> the LCOO plan on reaching out to the developers of the long-standing
> OpenStack projects like Nova, Neutron, Cinder, and Keystone to drive their
> shared agenda?

To expand on this point:

How effective are these teams at actually communicating with the
developers of OpenStack components? My concern is that all these working
teams collect a lot of information, then it is left in these silos and
never makes their way back to projects like Neutron, Nova, etc...

I suppose I am also philosophically opposed to having all these special
snowflake working groups. If you want to get things done in OpenStack
the best thing to do is roll up your sleeves and start participating
directly in the project where you need work done. I know for a fact that
in the Neutron community, we had RFE bugs and other processes so that
operators could submit requirements, and they weren't expected to do all
the work by themselves.

I didn't emerge from the void, fully formed, as a Neutron developer. I
was part of a team that had pain points in Neutron that we needed to
alleviate, so we jumped into the Neutron community, participated in
the weekly IRC meetings, filed bugs, started contributing patches,
etc...

So why have these groups?

--
Sean M. Collins