[Openstack-operators] [openstack-ansible] Remove compute node command

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 16:47:34 UTC 2017

On 2/1/2017 6:14 AM, Salman Toor wrote:
> hi,
>
> According to the Newton guide:
>
> http://docs.openstack.org/developer/openstack-ansible/newton/developer-docs/ops-remove-computehost.html
>
> The last command is
>
> # openstack-ansible remove_compute_node.yml -e node_to_be_removed=“compute1"
>

> With this I end up getting following error:
>
> fatal: [infra1_utility_container-fb0edc5f]: FAILED! => {"changed":
> false, "failed": true, "msg": "host_to_be_removed must be defined as
> ansible user variable”}
>
> Please update the guide with correct variable name. Variable name is
> “host_to_be_removed” NOT “node_to_be_removed”.
>
> Regards..
> Salman
>

> PhD, Scientific Computing
> Researcher, IT Department,
> Uppsala University.
> Senior Cloud Architect,
> SNIC.
> Cloud Application Expert,
> UPPMAX.
> salman.toor at it.uu.se <mailto:salman.toor at it.uu.se>
> http://www.it.uu.se/katalog/salto690

Not directly related to this, but coincidentally we were talking about a
bug in nova related to deleting compute nodes which reminded me of this fix:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/406627/

And the bug for it, and the fact you have to manually delete compute
nodes from the nova database, but you can delete the nova-compute
service via the os-hypervisors REST API.

While working on that bug I pointed out the need for a nova-manage
command or something similar to remove a compute node record from the
database, which would also have to build in some checks to make sure
that's safe, but the point is, this is a need we have in nova itself, so
it'd be sweet if someone was willing to work on adding that command to
nova, rather than have lots of random similar scripts in different tools
repos.

Matt Riedemann