[Openstack-operators] [publiccloud] Improvement for Horizon performance

Fei Long Wang feilong at catalyst.net.nz
Wed Dec 20 21:09:21 UTC 2017

Hi there,

I think I should send this note more early given the holiday season :)
We (Catalyst Cloud) have done some work recently about the performance
of Horizon, especially for the instance panel, which more cloud
providers can be benefited. Here is the list:

1. Allow to skip API calls to Neutron in instance tables
<https://review.openstack.org/510718>

2. Add cache for get_microversion() against Nova
<https://review.openstack.org/509676>

3. Remove the quota check for "Launch Instance" button
<https://review.openstack.org/509038>   NOTE: This one has been
reverted. The comments from Horizon team is, though it's good, but the
behavior is not consistent with the other panels. Personally, I don't
like the excuse, I prefer to do the same thing for all the other panels.

4. Add white list for Nova extension
<https://review.openstack.org/511095>   NOTE: It's not accepted by
Horizon team, so we're going to keep it in our private repo.

5. Make image name on instances panel configurable
<https://review.openstack.org/510392>   NOTE: It's not accepted by
Horizon team, so we're going to keep it in our private repo.

So far, we haven't got too much performance issue on the other panels.
Because the performance issue about Horizon is really related to the the
API calls. There are too much API calls on instance panel and it's
related the number of instances when listing. Generally, when listing 20
instances per page could cost 10s-12s on our cloud before, with above 5
patches, it could be reduced to 3s-4s.

Hopefully above information is helpful.

--
Cheers & Best regards,
Feilong Wang (王飞龙)
Email: flwang at catalyst.net.nz
Catalyst IT Limited
Level 6, Catalyst House, 150 Willis Street, Wellington