[Openstack-operators] [Openstack] Certifying SDKs

Joe Topjian joe at topjian.net
Fri Dec 15 19:45:29 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I've been meaning to reply to this thread. Volodymyr, your reply reminded
me :)

I agree with what you said that the SDK should support everything that the
API supports. In that way, one could simply review the API reference docs
and create a checklist for each possible action. I've often thought about
doing this for Gophercloud so devs/users can see its current state of
what's supported and what's missing.

But Melvin highlighted the word "guaranteed", so I think he's looking for
the most common scenarios/actions rather than an exhaustive list. For that,
I can recommend the suite of Terraform acceptance tests. I've added a test
each time a user has either reported a bug or requested a feature, so
they're scenarios that I know are being used "in the wild".

You can find these tests here:
https://github.com/terraform-providers/terraform-provider-openstack/tree/master/openstack

Each file that begins with "resource" and ends in "_test.go" will contain
various scenarios at the bottom. For example, compute instances:
https://github.com/terraform-providers/terraform-provider-openstack/blob/master/openstack/resource_openstack_compute_instance_v2_test.go#L637-L1134

This contains tests for:

* Basic launch of an instance
* Able to add and remove security groups from an existing instance
* Able to boot from a new volume or an existing volume
* Able to edit metadata of an instance.
* Able to create an instance with multiple ephemeral disks
* Able to create an instance with multiple NICs, some of which are on the
same network, some of which are defined as ports.

Terraform is not an SDK, but it's a direct consumer of Gophercloud and is
more user-facing, so I think it's quite applicable here. The caveat being
that if Terraform or Gophercloud does not support something, it's not
available as a test. :)

Melvin, if this is of interest, I can either post a raw list of these
tests/scenarios here or edit the sheet directly.

Thanks,
Joe