[Openstack-operators] Case studies on Openstack HA architecture

Curtis serverascode at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 14:31:05 UTC 2017

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 6:24 PM, Imtiaz Chowdhury
<imtiaz.chowdhury at workday.com> wrote:
> Thanks Curtis, Robert, David and Mohammed for your responses.
>
> As a follow up question, do you use any deployment automation tools for setting up the HA control plane? I can see the value of deploying each service in separate virtual environment or containers but automating such deployment requires developing some new tools. Openstack-ansible is one potential deployment tool that I am aware of but that had limited support CentOS.

I think it's safe to say that all "distros" and "installers" for
openstack will converge on using containers of some kind. As to what
and how that is actually done, there are a lot of opinions, and I
think you would have to perform your own due diligence around what
makes sense to you in terms of technologies and implementations. I
don't think there is a right answer. :)

To me it seems to be boiling down to: 1) Kubernetes is overkill (and
use something simpler) or 2) If you don't use Kubernetes then you will
just end up building it yourself [1]. I don't think it's actually that
simple, but those are the talking points.

I think, as has been mentioned in this thread so far, the major
opensource openstack "installers" or "managers" (?) are
openstack-ansible, kolla, tripleo, and now openstack-helm. Not sure if
I'm missing any, sorry if I did.

Frankly I find this all pretty interesting. :)

Thanks,
Curtis.

[1]: http://blog.reactiveops.com/is-kubernetes-overkill

--