[Openstack-operators] Case studies on Openstack HA architecture

Imtiaz Chowdhury imtiaz.chowdhury at workday.com
Tue Aug 29 00:24:30 UTC 2017

Thanks Curtis, Robert, David and Mohammed for your responses.

As a follow up question, do you use any deployment automation tools for setting up the HA control plane? I can see the value of deploying each service in separate virtual environment or containers but automating such deployment requires developing some new tools. Openstack-ansible is one potential deployment tool that I am aware of but that had limited support CentOS.

Imtiaz

On 8/28/17, 2:23 PM, "Curtis" <serverascode at gmail.com> wrote:

    On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 6:11 PM, Imtiaz Chowdhury
    <imtiaz.chowdhury at workday.com> wrote:
    > Hi Openstack operators,
    >

    > Most Openstack HA deployment use 3 node database cluster, 3 node rabbitMQ
    > cluster and 3 Controllers. I am wondering whether there are any studies done
    > that show the pros and cons of co-locating database and messaging service
    > with the Openstack control services.  In other words, I am very interested
    > in learning about advantages and disadvantages, in terms of ease of
    > deployment, upgrade and overall API performance, of having 3 all-in-one
    > Openstack controller over a more distributed deployment model.

    I'm not aware of any actual case studies, but this is the (current)
    default model for tripleo and its downstream product, so there would
    be a lot of deployments like this out there in the wild. In the
    default deployment everything but compute is on these 3 nodes running
    on the physical OS.

    Do you mean 3 physical servers with everything running on the physical OS?

    My opinion is that 3 physical nodes to run all the control plane
    services is quite common, but in custom deployments I either run vms
    and containers on those or just containers. I'd use at least lxc to
    segregate services into their own containers.

    I would also suggest that using those same physical servers as
    north/south "network nodes" (which you probably don't have as I
    believe workday is a big opencontrail user) or hosts for stateful
    metric systems (ie. mongodb) can cause issues performance wise, but
    co-located mysql/galera and rabbit on the same nodes as the rest of
    the openstack control plane hasn't been a problem for me yet, but with
    containers I could split them out fairly easily if needed.

    Thanks,
    Curtis.

    > References to any work done in this area will be highly appreciated.
    >

    > Thanks,
    > Imtiaz

    Blog: serverascode.com