[Openstack-operators] custom build image is slow

Paras pradhan pradhanparas at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 14:41:15 UTC 2017

It does have the virtio drivers and the image file is qcow2 not raw.  To
narrow down the issue this is what I have done.

1) Download CentOS-7-x86_64-GenericCloud.qcow2 from centos.org. Upload to
glance and while creating a volume in cinder volume.log I see 250MB/sec
download speed. This is normal in our case.

2) Now boot the qcow2 using kvm/virt-manager , add packages, poweroff and
upload it to glance , I see 75MB/sec download speed while creating a
volume. If I do virt sparsify it then drops to 30MB/sec.

Not sure why I am seeing this behaviour.

Thanks
Paras.