[Openstack-operators] Experience with Cinder volumes as root disks?

John Petrini jpetrini at coredial.com
Tue Aug 1 15:14:03 UTC 2017

Just my two cents here but we started out using mostly Ephemeral storage in
our builds and looking back I wish we hadn't. Note we're using Ceph as a
backend so my response is tailored towards Ceph's behavior.

The major pain point is snapshots. When you snapshot an nova volume an RBD
snapshot occurs and is very quick and uses very little additional storage,
however the snapshot is then copied into the images pool and in the process
is converted from a snapshot to a full size image. This takes a long time
because you have to copy a lot of data and it takes up a lot of space. It
also causes a great deal of IO on the storage and means you end up with a
bunch of "snapshot images" creating clutter. On the other hand volume
snapshots are near instantaneous without the other drawbacks I've mentioned.

On the plus side for ephemeral storage; resizing the root disk of images
works better. As long as your image is configured properly it's just a
matter of initiating a resize and letting the instance reboot to grow the
root disk. When using volumes as your root disk you instead have to
shutdown the instance, grow the volume and boot.

I hope this help! If anyone on the list knows something I don't know
regarding these issues please chime in. I'd love to know if there's a
better way.

Regards,

John Petrini