[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] [nova][glance] Who needs multiple api_servers?

John Garbutt john at johngarbutt.com
Fri Apr 28 12:45:13 UTC 2017

On 28 April 2017 at 12:17, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:
> On 04/28/2017 12:50 AM, Blair Bethwaite wrote:
>> We at Nectar are in the same boat as Mike. Our use-case is a little
>> bit more about geo-distributed operations though - our Cells are in
>> different States around the country, so the local glance-apis are
>> particularly important for caching popular images close to the
>> nova-computes. We consider these glance-apis as part of the underlying
>> cloud infra rather than user-facing, so I think we'd prefer not to see
>> them in the service-catalog returned to users either... is there going
>> to be a (standard) way to hide them?
>
> In a situation like this, where Cells are geographically bounded, is
> there also a Region for that Cell/Glance?

So we had a slightly different case, where the Glance servers were
actually in the same rack as the hypervisors, so for you had the
option to avoid inter cell traffic for lots of the image downloads.

Another gain was not needed an expensive loadbalancer in front of
glance, looping around the API list spread the load enough (although a
loadbalancer doing a 302 redirect rather than being in the data path
worked rather well, although I think glanceclient wan't too keen
following the redirects on upload).

Thanks,
johnthetubaguy