[Openstack-operators] Openvswitch flat and provider in the same bond

Dan Sneddon dsneddon at redhat.com
Wed Apr 19 21:14:37 UTC 2017

If all of the VLANs are tagged, then I am having a hard time imagining
why you want to use only one of them as a flat network.

The only difference between a VLAN network and a flat network in Neutron
is that OVS handles tagging/untagging on VLAN networks and flat networks
are untagged.

It is possible to create a VLAN interface, and then add that VLAN
interface to a new OVS bridge. Since the VLAN interface will already
have stripped the VLAN tags by the time they get to the OVS bridge, you
would create a flat network in that case. However, I don't believe that
you can do this while simultaneously adding the other VLANs as VLAN
networks to a different OVS bridge. You might actually have to create
three separate bridges to add the three VLANs to and create three flat
networks instead.

In any case, the traffic will be untagged when it reaches the VM. So
from the VM perspective, all those choices have the same end result.

--
Dan Sneddon         |  Senior Principal Software Engineer
dsneddon at redhat.com |  redhat.com/openstack