[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] [nova] Usability question for the server migrations API

Chet Burgess cfb at metacloud.com
Fri Apr 14 21:12:47 UTC 2017

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 2:05 PM, Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote:

> Chet, are you aware of the instance actions API?
>
> https://developer.openstack.org/api-ref/compute/#servers-act
> ions-servers-os-instance-actions
>
> That might not give you all of the information you care about though, like
> the source and target host since it's not specific to migrations.

We use that as well. It can be be useful, but its not all encompassing and
sometimes can give the impression that something didn't happen when it did
(different versions of nova have had different gaps over the years). Its
mostly working now so we probably need to rely more heavily on it in our
newer deploys.

> This does bring up something Sean Dague and I were talking about today,
> which is we would like to know how often a certain API is used, like shelve
> for example. We don't have a great way to mine this data today in the API.
> We have the instance actions API, but that doesn't support listing actions
> for all instances in all projects, or even all instances in a single
> project. It's scoped to a specific instance.
>
> So what we spit-balled was putting something simple and easy into
> nova-manage which could be used to dump stats on instance actions.
>
> For example, we could list the total number of some action taken on a
> single instance, or all instances in a project, or all instances for all
> projects. And maybe provide a time window filter so you can get a week, or
> a month, etc.
>
> This came up because I wanted to ask the operators list how often people
> use the shelve API in their cloud, but that's kind of hard to know. If we
> had something like this in nova-manage, it would be relatively easy for
> developers to poll operators for API usage and get a report back, e.g.
> there were 25 shelve operations on all instances in my cloud in the last
> week.

Where would you be storing these stats? I would be worried that the act of
tracking this might put a load on the system.