[Openstack-operators] ElasticSearch on OpenStack

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Sep 2 21:03:30 UTC 2016

On 2016-09-02 12:36:27 +0000 (+0000), Tim Bell wrote:
> Has anyone had experience running ElasticSearch on top of OpenStack VMs ?

The OpenStack community infrastructure includes a modest
ElasticSearch cluster indexing CI job results, behind the
http://logstash.openstack.org/ and
http://status.openstack.org/elastic-recheck/ services. We also use
the CirrusSearch extension for Mediawiki (which relies on a local
ElasticSearch instance) providing page searching for the
https://wiki.openstack.org/ service. All of these run on virtual
machine instances in Rackspace at the moment.

> Are there any tuning recommendations ?

Our use case isn't nearly as large as some, but you may be able to
find some ideas in our Puppet module for ES and the customization
class from which we instantiate it:

    https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/puppet-elasticsearch/tree/
    https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/system-config/tree/modules/openstack_project/manifests/elasticsearch_node.pp

--