[Openstack-operators] Designate service

Micheal Jones micheal.jones at cybera.ca
Thu Sep 1 20:14:07 UTC 2016

A bit late replying, but we're deploying something similar to production
(using Mitaka but the initial work was done with Liberty) this month. (It's
been working great in our sandbox)

We posted it on GitHub: https://github.com/cybera/cybera-designate-handler

There's several other great examples of how to implement a sink handler but
don't really cover the PTR record aspect:
https://github.com/twc-openstack/cirrus-designate-sink-handler
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/diffusion/GSNF/repository/master/

Hope that helps,

-- Micheal

On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 7:54 PM, Sam Morrison <sorrison at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Alexandra,
>
> I don’t think that is supported in designate yet, I think there is/was a
> blueprint floating around somewhere for this but not sure if anyone has
> looked at implementing.
>
> If you wanted to code this up yourself you could also do this with a
> notification handler that looks for the instance.boot event and then goes
> off and adds a record to designate.
>
> Cheers,
> Sam
>

> On 25 Aug 2016, at 8:55 PM, Alexandra Kisin <KISIN at il.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> Hello, I'm operating Liberty openstack environment and using Designate
> service for DNS based on PowerDNS.
> Everything is working and syncing fine except one important thing - there
> are only A records in dns and no PTR records.
> And we have some applications and services which require reverse naming.
> My question is how it can be implemented in Liberty environment ?
> How I can define additional reverse domain in
> /etc/designate/designate.conf file and make reverse naming to be registered
> automatically once the instance was deployed ?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Regards,
>
> Alexandra Kisin
> Servers & Network group, IBM R&D Labs in Israel
> Unix & Virtualization Team
> ------------------------------
> *Phone:* +972-48296172 | *Mobile:* +972-54-6976172 | *Fax:* +972-4-8296111
> <Mail Attachment.jpeg>
> <Mail Attachment.gif>

Micheal Jones
Senior Systems Administrator
Cybera Inc.

www.cybera.ca

Cybera is a not-for-profit organization that works to spur and support
innovation, for the economic benefit of Alberta, through the use of
cyberinfrastructure.