[Openstack-operators] [Puppet][Neutron] Mitaka ML2/OVS config file mismatch

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Thu Sep 1 15:09:57 UTC 2016

Jonathan D. Proulx <jon at csail.mit.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 01, 2016 at 01:50:40PM +0200, Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
>
> :ml2_conf.ini is to be loaded by neutron-server only. The agent should
> :not load it, instead relying on openvswitch_agent.ini file for
> :anything agent specific. If for some reason puppet does put agent
> :configuration options into ml2_conf.ini, it does it wrong.
>
> I've been wondering what the intended distiction between those conf
> files was since ml2 came out thanks...
>
> Given your email address I doubt you'll have much sympathy for this :)
> but Ubuntu previously (as of Kilo at least I don't have a Liberty to
> look at right now) seems to have used ml2_conf.ini for both in their
> packaged start up files.

Yeah, I know. It took Debian and Ubuntu a while to fix the packaging. Part
of the problem was, neutron shipped openvswitch_plugin.ini file instead of
openvswitch_agent.ini to be loaded by the agent, so deb folks were misled
by the naming, because plugins are neutron-server things, not agent things.
This was fixed only recently in neutron, so now that new naming is
self-explanatory, distributions adopted the correct approach.

Ihar