[Openstack-operators] [openstack-operators][ceph][nova] How do you handle Nova on Ceph?

Xav Paice xavpaice at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 18:41:13 UTC 2016

On Mon, 2016-10-10 at 13:29 +0000, Adam Kijak wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We use a Ceph cluster for Nova (Glance and Cinder as well) and over
> time,
> more and more data is stored there. We can't keep the cluster so big
> because of
> Ceph's limitations. Sooner or later it needs to be closed for adding
> new
> instances, images and volumes. Not to mention it's a big failure
> domain.

I'm really keen to hear more about those limitations.

> How do you handle this issue?
> What is your strategy to divide Ceph clusters between compute nodes?
> How do you solve VM snapshot placement and migration issues then
> (snapshots will be left on older Ceph)?

Having played with Ceph and compute on the same hosts, I'm a big fan of
separating them and having dedicated Ceph hosts, and dedicated compute
hosts.  That allows me a lot more flexibility with hardware
configuration and maintenance, easier troubleshooting for resource
contention, and also allows scaling at different rates.