[Openstack-operators] SDN for hybridcloud, does it *really* exist?

Silence Dogood matt at nycresistor.com
Mon Oct 3 16:05:57 UTC 2016

I think the best general way to view networking in cloud is WAN vs Cloud
Lan.

There's almost always an edge routing env for your cloud environments (
whether they be by region or by policy or by tim is an angry dude and you
don't touch his instances ).

Everything beyond that edge is a WAN problem and can be handled in fairly
traditional ways... of course that's over simplifying things like BGP
passing into your cloud's lan env.  Or multihoming the edge router for that
cloud env to multiple networks ( god help you if there is spanning tree
involved ).

Honestly, I'd still use that demarcation though.  It helps split the issue
into manageable chunks.

-Matt