[Openstack-operators] feedback on pymysql

Jesse Pretorius Jesse.Pretorius at rackspace.co.uk
Fri Nov 18 12:41:05 UTC 2016

 From: Matt Fischer <matt at mattfischer.com>

As a part of our upgrades to Newton we are transitioning our services to use pymysql rather than the deprecated MySQL-Python [1]. I believe pymsql has been the default in devstack and the gate for sometime now and that MySQL-Python is essentially untested and not updated, hence our desire to switch.

devstack is one thing, but I'm curious if anyone has experience operating in production with this, especially if there are issues. I've not seen anything in testing but if anyone else has I'd love to know positive or negative.

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/PyMySQL_evaluation#MySQL-Connector-Python

As a data point, OpenStack-Ansible switched to using pymysql by default for Liberty. We’ve had no negative feedback from any deployers using OSA as far as I know.

Rackspace Limited is a company registered in England & Wales (company registered number 03897010) whose registered office is at 5 Millington Road, Hyde Park Hayes, Middlesex UB3 4AZ. Rackspace Limited privacy policy can be viewed at www.rackspace.co.uk/legal/privacy-policy - This e-mail message may contain confidential or privileged information intended for the recipient. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of the enclosed material is prohibited. If you receive this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail at abuse at rackspace.com and delete the original message. Your cooperation is appreciated.