[Openstack-operators] VM monitoring suggestions

Jean-Philippe Methot jp.methot at planethoster.info
Thu Nov 17 16:57:45 UTC 2016

Hi,

We are currently exploring monitoring solutions for the VMs we deploy
for our customers in production. What I have been asked to deploy would
be something akin to how you can see openvz container usage: you get
memory usage, bandwidth, load and so forth for each container.

I know that ceilometer may be an option, but I believe operators use all
kind of tools for their own ressource usage monitoring. So what do you
people use?

(For this use case, we're looking for something that can be used without
installing an agent in the VM, which makes it impossible to get a VM's
load metric. I would be satisfied with cpu/memory/network/io metrics
though.)