[Openstack-operators] [publicClouds-wg] Public Cloud Working Group

matt Jarvis matt at mattjarvis.org.uk
Tue Nov 15 10:43:56 UTC 2016

So after input from a variety of sources over the last few weeks, I'd very
much like to try and put together a public cloud working group, with the
very high level goal of representing the interests of the public cloud
provider community around the globe.

I'd like to propose that, in line with the new process for creation of
working groups, we set up some initial IRC meetings for all interested
parties. The goals for these initial meetings would be :

1. Define the overall scope and mission statement for the working group
2. Set out the constituency for the group - communication methods,
definitions of public clouds, meeting schedules, chairs etc.
3. Identify areas of interest - eg. technical issues, collaboration
opportunities

Before I go ahead and schedule first meetings, I'd very much like to gather
input from the community on interested parties, and if this seems like a
reasonable first step forward. My thought initially was to schedule a first
meeting on #openstack-operators and then decide on best timings, locations
and communication methods from there, but again I'd welcome input.

At this point it would seem to me that one of the key metrics for this
working group to be successful is participation as widely as possible
within the public cloud provider community, currently approximately 21
companies globally according to
https://www.openstack.org/marketplace/public-clouds/. If we could get
representation from all of those companies in any potential working group,
then that would clearly be the best outcome, although that may be
optimistic ! As has become clear at recent Ops events, it may be that not
all of those companies are represented on these lists, so I'd welcome any
input on the best way to reach out to those folks.

Matt