[Openstack-operators] [puppet] openstack provider errors with openrc and keystone v3

Justin Cattle j at ocado.com
Fri Nov 11 11:11:48 UTC 2016

There was two problems here!

The puppet libs in use were coming from the wrong environment - so a pretty
terminal issue.
The openrc file wasn't quite correct, as already noted :)

We're still using puppet3, and directory environments on puppet3 have a few
issues around plugin-download with multiple directory environments.
I was already accounting for that, but somehow I missed something and some
of the libs from the production env slipped back in.
Now that is sorted, and the correct openrc file is place, pupping is smooth
again :)

I do notice one further issue.

If I source the openrc file, then run pup in that same shell, some of the
providers fail.

Notice: Puppet::Type::Neutron_network::ProviderNeutron: Unable to complete
neutron request due to non-fatal error: "Execution of '/usr/bin/neutron
net-list --format=csv --column=id --quote=none' returned 1: The request you
have made requires authentication. (HTTP 401) (Request-ID:
req-031655a9-3eab-4ac6-b1e8-8840b6b49b4e)". Retrying for 9 sec.
Notice: Puppet::Type::Neutron_network::ProviderNeutron: Unable to complete
neutron request due to non-fatal error: "Execution of '/usr/bin/neutron
net-list --format=csv --column=id --quote=none' returned 1: The request you
have made requires authentication. (HTTP 401) (Request-ID:
req-9d5e6e3e-65ba-4a92-af95-ef0be5fa30f6)". Retrying for 6 sec.
Notice: Puppet::Type::Neutron_network::ProviderNeutron: Unable to complete
neutron request due to non-fatal error: "Execution of '/usr/bin/neutron
net-list --format=csv --column=id --quote=none' returned 1: The request you
have made requires authentication. (HTTP 401) (Request-ID:
req-36f18e6a-50e1-464b-b8bd-fc7cb6ee223e)". Retrying for 3 sec.
Notice: Puppet::Type::Neutron_network::ProviderNeutron: Unable to complete
neutron request due to non-fatal error: "Execution of '/usr/bin/neutron
net-list --format=csv --column=id --quote=none' returned 1: The request you
have made requires authentication. (HTTP 401) (Request-ID:
req-35c8125d-7647-49a3-829b-ff485adb2234)". Retrying for 0 sec.

If i don't have the OS_ variables in my shell, then it all works fine.

Is this a bug?

Cheers,
Just