[Openstack-operators] Managing quota for Nova local storage?

Van Leeuwen, Robert rovanleeuwen at ebay.com
Fri Nov 11 07:10:36 UTC 2016

Thx for your stories,

I think we are now all doing pretty much the same thing to get around the issue but it still looks like a very useful feature.

So to share what we (eBay-ECG) are doing:
We also started out with scaling the flavor disksize to either memory or cpu. (so e.g. large disk == large memory)
But our users started asking for flavors with quite different specs.
Not being able to give those would be hugely inefficient.

So now we started giving flavors to specific tenants instead of making them public (and let the quota’s sort it out)
e.g. a flavor with 8 cores, 12G and 1TB of local storage will only be available for the tenants that really need it.

Looking at our hypervisor stats we either run out of memory or disk before cpu cycles so not having a tunable on disk is inconvenient.
Our latest spec hypervisors have 768GB and we run KSM so we will probably run out of DISK first there.
We run SSD-only on local storage so that space in the flavor is real $$$.

We started to run on zfs with compression on our latest config/iteration and that seems to alleviate the pain a bit.
It is a bit early to tell exactly but it seems to run stable and the compression factor will be around 2.0

P.S. I noticed my search for blueprints was not good enough so I closed mine and subscribed to the one that’s was already there:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/nova-disk-quota-tracking

Robert van Leeuwen