[Openstack-operators] [puppet][fuel][packstack][tripleo] puppet 3 end of life

Sam Morrison sorrison at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 05:31:28 UTC 2016

> On 4 Nov. 2016, at 1:33 pm, Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 9:10 PM, Sam Morrison <sorrison at gmail.com <mailto:sorrison at gmail.com>> wrote:
>> Wow I didn’t realise puppet3 was being deprecated, is anyone actually using puppet4?
>>
>> I would hope that the openstack puppet modules would support puppet3 for a while still, at lest until the next ubuntu LTS is out else we would get to the stage where the openstack  release supports Xenial but the corresponding puppet module would not? (Xenial has puppet3)
>
> I'm afraid we made a lot of communications around it but you might
> have missed it, no problem.
> I have 3 questions for you:
> - for what reasons would you not upgrade puppet?

Because I’m a time poor operator with more important stuff to upgrade :-)
Upgrading puppet *could* be a big task and something we haven’t had time to look into. Don’t follow along with puppetlabs so didn’t realise puppet3 was being deprecated. Now that this has come to my attention we’ll look into it for sure.

> - would it be possible for you to use puppetlabs packaging if you need
> puppet4 on Xenial? (that's what upstream CI is using, and it works
> quite well).

OK thats promising, good to know that the CI is using puppet4. It’s all my other dodgy puppet code I’m worried about.

> - what version of the modules do you deploy? (and therefore what
> version of OpenStack)

We’re using a mixture of newton/mitaka/liberty/kilo, sometimes the puppet module version is newer than the openstack version too depending on where we’re at in the upgrade process of the particular openstack project.

I understand progress must go on, I am interested though in how many operators use puppet4. We may be in the minority and then I’ll be quiet :-)

Maybe it should be deprecated in one release and then dropped in the next?

Cheers,
Sam