[Openstack-operators] Problems (simple ones) at scale... Invisible VMs.

Kevin Bringard (kevinbri) kevinbri at cisco.com
Thu May 19 13:49:35 UTC 2016

Given that there’s already the ability to start listing from a specific VM/UUID, it seems like we should add some pagination functionality in there. Maybe we need to add an “—all” flag or something which is non-admin and returns all VMs for the specific tenant. Then if someone really does want all 10,000 VMs they’re running in a tenant they can get them, and still honor osapi_max_limit (per subsequent paged call).

Alternatively (or perhaps in addition to?) if there are more results than the osapi_max_limit, or some other limit set, we should tell people “showing 1000 of 10,000 results, use –marker <last uuid> to show the next 1000” or something.

Limits are something people tend to be OK with, but having to dig into un/under-documented issues is what makes them straight up angry. If there’s something we can do to help alleviate that it seems worth investigating.